Jobkeeper and part time employed

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

asx

24 April 2020
Hey all
I have a question regarding jobkeeper. I have contracted employment to work 24hrs/week perm part time with usual salary of ~$1800 per fortnight. My employer is applying for Jobkeeper and has now reduced my hours to 20hrs/week and this will equate to me earning ~$1500 per fortnight. In my perspective I wouldn't benefit with Jobkeeper.
My colleague on the other hand, is contracted to work 16hrs /week , her hours will be reduced to 12hrs/week and if jobkeeper payment comes through she will be eligible for the full $1500. Ultimately, I am working more hours than her but we will be paid the same amount. I feel this is unfair on my behalf. Am I able to request my employer to reduce my hours further , or to share the same amount of hours work between us?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are you on the same hourly rate, in "normal times" ?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In my perspective I wouldn't benefit with Jobkeeper.

Not true. You keep your job, albeit on less pay.

Am I able to request my employer to reduce my hours further , or to share the same amount of hours work between us?

Yes, though the employer does not have to agree.

asx

24 April 2020
Are you on the same hourly rate, in "normal times" ?

Yes I am on same hourly rate... I am an essential worker (physio) and there is work. however I think my company is trying to cut hours to project that the company is at a 30% loss to be eligiable for jobkeeper scheme. but my employer has reduced my hours so that I am making at $1500.

asx

24 April 2020
Yes, though the employer does not have to agree.

I see. I am just wondering though why employers are reducing hours of staff that are already on low contracted hours. Because regardless they will get $1500. And for someone like me who are doing more hours and still getting $1500..

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You get the higher of your wage or $1,500. With less sales, the employer wants to cutdown on wages.

Reactions: Tim W