Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Copyright of Designs - New T-Shirt Business

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Mary S, 27 April 2014.

1. Mary S

Mary S Member

Hi, I am planning to start t-shirt business. How will I know if my designs are already under copyearight?

Thanks

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Mary S,
    The Australian Copyearight Council has an excellent information sheet on t-shirt copyearight issues in Australia.
    Key points from the Australian Copyearight Council information sheet:
    • If you are not the copyearight owner, you will generally need permission to print an image on t-shirts;
    • Making a few changes to someone else’s copyearight work is unlikely to mean you don’t need permission to use it;
    • You'll need permission from the copyearight owner if you want to use a quote that is a "substantial part" of someone else's literary work;
    • If copyearight has expired in the material, you won’t need permission to use it;
    • If you find material on the internet, this doesn’t mean you can use it without permission; and
    • The use of existing brand names or slogans is unlikely to be a copyearight issue, but may raise issues under trade mark or competition and consumer law.
    Good luck on your new venture!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Leelee, Tim W and rebeccag like this.