- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Copyright of Designs - New T-Shirt Business

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Mary S, 27 April 2014.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Mary S

Mary S Member

17 April 2014
    Hi, I am planning to start t-shirt business. How will I know if my designs are already under copyright?

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

14 April 2014
    The Australian Copyright Council has an excellent information sheet on t-shirt copyright issues in Australia.
    Key points from the Australian Copyright Council information sheet:
    • If you are not the copyright owner, you will generally need permission to print an image on t-shirts;
    • Making a few changes to someone else’s copyright work is unlikely to mean you don’t need permission to use it;
    • You'll need permission from the copyright owner if you want to use a quote that is a "substantial part" of someone else's literary work;
    • If copyright has expired in the material, you won’t need permission to use it;
    • If you find material on the internet, this doesn’t mean you can use it without permission; and
    • The use of existing brand names or slogans is unlikely to be a copyright issue, but may raise issues under trade mark or competition and consumer law.
    Good luck on your new venture!
    Leelee, Tim W and rebeccag like this.