QLD Client has not paid for services but is using design

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GraphiKDeZiin

10 May 2017
Hi there,

I am a freelancer.

I recently had a trouble with a client.
I did work on lot of projects for them.

When I send the invoice (quite substantial for a freelancer), they suddenly let me know that the work wasn't what they expected (even if it was approved and many many email that everything was amazing, nailed etc...) and therefore they didn't require my work anymore.
To be honest the tone of their emails let supposed that they never wanted to pay for the work done anyway.

Fair enough. I didn't have any other agreement with them than an email quoting my prices then their reply agreeing on that.
Not having a proper contract between us I was about to let go and putting this into my loss and learn from my mistakes.

But few weeks after this incident I found out they are using my design. I am aware of only one piece they are using but they can be using a lot as I have created few pieces of collateral for them.

I am not sure how to handle the situation and some help and advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Send them a demand letter for payment.

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi,

It is possible for email conversations to constitute a valid contract. You can contact AMK Law for advice before a legal letter of demand is sent asking payments for services provided.

Feel free to contact Book Online using the link below.

GraphiKDeZiin

10 May 2017
Thanks Matthew,
I have contacted few lawyers and trademark/copyright attorneys and to be honest it is completely out of budget.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can DIY. Depends on how confident you are. There are some things you should include and if you don't know what they are a lawyer can help.

Registered post is not essential, but is recommended. Can also be sent via email.