Challenging Property Settlement After Money is Paid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Beee

20 March 2017
Can you challenge property settlement agreement after it's been signed and money has been paid?

The reason I ask - I was paid a property settlement by my ex after 14 years together. At the time, I was unhappy with it as I believed our business which was factored in was worth much more.

My ex got the valuations done. I know I should have fought against it more, unfortunately I wasn't in the position to disagree as I needed the money for my girls and I to live off.

Immediately after paying me out, my ex bought a commercial property and a lifestyle property. Knowing the way our finances, etc were I just find it very hard to believe he didn't do something underhanded in the valuation process or something.

I have questioned him several times on it, the latest is he got an early inheritance. We still aren't divorced and I've had to move back to my home country, leaving my children in Australia because I could not afford to live there. The whole process has been extremely difficult and painful.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You can try, but the Court probably won't hear it. Suspicion alone isn't enough to have the matter revisited.