QLD Property Settlement - Pay Back Loan That's Already Paid Off?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

spot

26 March 2017
Question:

My ex took full responsibility for a loan, had me go in and sign off the loan. After it was in his name, he paid it off and I am now in court and he wants me to pay this loan. That is not there as he paid it off under his name.

The loan is not living it has been paid .he wants me to pay for my share of this loan. I had to cover my legal rights on his money. Do I have to pay for a loan in a property settlement that is no longer living?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

The property settlement will look at the division of assets more holistically. They will look at debts and assets, direct and indirect contributions and future needs. I guess he can submit it to indicate that he has made direct contributions. So he may not want you to pay your share he wants to prove he made all payments himself to increase his share in the property settlement. I don't think you will get a bill to repay him for loan contributions.