VIC Car Bought was in an Accident - Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Burhan

1 September 2017
Hello,

I bought a car from a private seller. I asked her if it has been in any accidents and she said no. But after I bought it, there is an issue on right hand side mirror auto fold. I took it to mechanic, and he told the whole right hand side of the car has been painted and might have been involved in an accident. It was a 2016 model only done 4000 kms and she bought it brand new and I paid a handsome amount of money for that swell.

Could you please tell me if I do have any legal rights under Australian Consumer Law?

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi Burhan,

Buying a motor vehicle from a private seller could be cheaper than buying from a business. However, buying from a private seller means less legal protection. For example, the buyer does not get any cooling-off period and the vehicle is not covered by a statutory warranty.

Regrettably, the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) does not provide protection for cars purchased from a private seller.

In your situation, it is advisable to first contact the seller to negotiate an outcome. If that does not resolve the problem, the buyer has an option to make an application to VCAT.

Burhan

1 September 2017
Hi Burhan,

Buying a motor vehicle from a private seller could be cheaper than buying from a business. However, buying from a private seller means less legal protection. For example, the buyer does not get any cooling-off period and the vehicle is not covered by a statutory warranty.

Regrettably, the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) does not provide protection for cars purchased from a private seller.

In your situation, it is advisable to first contact the seller to negotiate an outcome. If that does not resolve the problem, the buyer has an option to make an application to VCAT.

Thank you for your advise. I tried contacting her, she is not responding at all..