NSW Bought a Car under Car Finance - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cameron Hall

29 January 2018
Hi,

I bought a car not knowing it was under car finance. Now the finance company are wanting to repossess the car off me.

i paid cash for the car. Can I sue the previous owner for the funds as I am out of pocket?

Thanks

Clancy

6 April 2016
Can you sue the previous owner? Yes, is it worth it? If they are a deadbeat, obviously no.

I do believe that the car cannot be repossessed from private property. So if it's your driveway, garage, or secure parking, they can't take it. Park on the street or in a shopping centre then it's fair game. So all you can reasonably do is just keep using the car as long as you can, it wont affect your personal credit rating. If you have insurance on the car and the car was written off or stolen, your insurance company will pay the finance company before paying you, so just be aware of that.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The car can be repossessed from private property with permission, or they obtain a court order.

Cameron Hall

29 January 2018
Can you sue the previous owner? Yes, is it worth it? If they are a deadbeat, obviously no.

I do believe that the car cannot be repossessed from private property. So if it's your driveway, garage, or secure parking, they can't take it. Park on the street or in a shopping centre then it's fair game. So all you can reasonably do is just keep using the car as long as you can, it wont affect your personal credit rating. If you have insurance on the car and the car was written off or stolen, your insurance company will pay the finance company before paying you, so just be aware of that.
Thanks very much Clancy

Serge Gorval

2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
i assume you bought it in NSW ?
did you pay fair value for it ?
did the seller make any representations that the car was not under any encumbrances ?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
i assume you bought it in NSW ?
did you pay fair value for it ?
did the seller make any representations that the car was not under any encumbrances ?
On the other hand, did you do a PPSR check on the vehicle yourself?
(I see where you're going, @Serge Gorval, but I'm wondering about truly clean equitable hands...)