LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Private Car Sale Agreement - Can I Repossess?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by JarredW, 7 January 2015.

1. JarredW

JarredW Active Member

Hi,
    I was recently advertising my car for sale as it is still encumbered under finance ( car loan), so I was selling to clear finance. A friend approached me and asked if they could take over the payments as they desperately needed a vehicle. We came to a private verbal agreement where they were to pay x amount of dollars to cover each finance repayment. As of late, they have not been paying, and I am now stuck paying the finance on a vehicle that is not in my possession of. What is my legal position as to repossessing the vehicle under Contract Law? The vehicle is still encumbered.

Many thanks.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

Did the credit provider agree to any of this?

3. JarredW

JarredW Active Member

No Tim, they are unaware of the situation

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

Well, I suggest the first thing you do is speak to them.

5. JarredW

JarredW Active Member

Thanks Tim,

I have contacted finance company, and they have advised me to collect vehicle back. If i am confronted with any dispute, do I have the right to in clove authorities to collect. The car is registered under there name as so I wouldn't obtain any speeding tickets or parking fines, but still secured under finance company