VIC Boomers v USA Basketball - Misleading Advertising? Right to Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Newy

25 July 2019
Hello everyone,

First post here. I recently (a few months ago) bought tickets to the upcoming Boomers versus USA basketball team matchup in Melbourne. Through marketing they have been advertising the biggest Names in world basketball and pictures of players who are now not coming. They advertised that all these elite players are coming over here to Australia to play and now virtually none are. Do I have any rights to get a refund?

Regards, Matt.

Reactions: andy043 and XOT1C

XOT1C

28 July 2019
Yessssss ! I totally agree with you.. I actually purchased 2 x MVP packages last year. I’ve been waiting a year for this and so disappointed. I could’ve put that money aside and saved for a holiday overseas to see the players they said were coming. Not acceptable and disappointing for everyone. So many on social media complaining too. How can we get our money back?

Reactions: Nmac

Nmac

28 July 2019
I also agree. The cost of the tickets was based on the players that were advertised to come. Hence the reason I spent so much. I don’t even want to go and would just like a refund. We’ve been mislead to buy tickets to an event which was falsely advertised. So annoyed.

Reactions: XOT1C

Julie Riley

28 July 2019
I have copies of the promotion TEG used with the famous NBA players, promising the biggest names in basketball. I think we should all be entitled for a refund as they promoted this without securing these basketballers. They arent injured so they cant use that as an excuse. No way would people have spent the money they did had they known who was really representing USA basketball.

Reactions: XOT1C

Newy

25 July 2019
Any chance you could send that through to attach that to an angry email to TEG live please.

I have copies of the promotion TEG used with the famous NBA players, promising the biggest names in basketball. I think we should all be entitled for a refund as they promoted this without securing these basketballers. They arent injured so they cant use that as an excuse. No way would people have spent the money they did had they known who was really representing USA basketball.

Julie Riley

28 July 2019
Any chance you could send that through to attach that to an angry email to TEG live please.
I have sent it through already and I have spoken to ACCC who advised me that they are in fact in breach of section 29 of the Competition and Consumer Act with misleading advertising. They suggested my first step is to write a letter of demand requesting a remedy and to contact ACCC if I don’t get a response

Reactions: Wade B

Wade B

30 July 2019
I have sent it through already and I have spoken to ACCC who advised me that they are in fact in breach of section 29 of the Competition and Consumer Act with misleading advertising. They suggested my first step is to write a letter of demand requesting a remedy and to contact ACCC if I don’t get a response

Hey all, any update on this? I want to follow up on this too. Bought tickets to both games as I was really excited with the talent that they advertised.

Are you able to send me through your collateral too please. :) Thanks in advance if that is possible.

andy043

30 July 2019

andy043

30 July 2019
Great work please keep us posted. The roster had all top tier players poised to come then including Kyrie (wasn’t even on the team) maybe we can get enough ppl behind this happy to charge premium $$ for minor talent now Ben Simmons pulls out after saying he will play..

andy043

30 July 2019
Hi did you send through to Ticketmaster or Teg live?