Australian Patent Law - Inventor Rights after Patent Expiry?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Glenn123

7 February 2015
Hi guys, first time using this forum and need some advice.

If say for example, I develop a patent in 1993, and a drug company develops a new drug from my patent, and launch it in 2013, would i have a right to any of the proceeds even after the patent has expired? The drug company has spent the period between 1993 - 2012 developing the product using the patent, but only started commercializing and selling the product in 2013 (after the patent expired). The drug company did not approach the inventor for any type of sale/royalty stream during that time. Does the inventor have rights under intellectual property law?

Thanks.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Was it a standard patent or pharmaceutical patent? I would have expected a pharma patent to last longer than 20 years, so did you just have a standard one?

Unfortunately, you don't have rights after the patent expires. Patent holders need to take action before their patent expires. After it expires, its too late and others will innovate and expand on it.

You may find this article an interesting read about the CSIRO, innovation and their wifi patents: End of an era? CSIRO wifi patent nears expiry - Strategy - Training & Development - News - iTnews.com.au