SA Australian Consumer Law - Using Coupon Codes More Than Once

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Poppy

6 October 2015
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I signed up for a punch fit course, advertised at $289. I am studying at the AIF so I had a coupon code; punchfitaifsa

That gave me 10% off. I also used the same code changing the state at the end 5 more times, giving me 10% off each time and a total discount of $135. There is no small print on the coupon or nothing in the terms and conditions on the website saying you cannot use more than one coupon.

I just got a call saying that I will have to pay the rest because you are only allowed to use one coupon, but I have read the terms and conditions of the website and it definitely does not say this anywhere. Under Australian Consumer Law, does it have to be written on the coupon or on the website of the 'one coupon per customer' rule to apply?

Thanks

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
A coupon code is usually to be only used once. It is not meant to be used many times.
They would have supplied the coupon with an implied term that it is only to be used once. Pay the balance and enjoy your course - it is not worth taking it further and you may find that it may be tax deductable (contact your accountant for information regarding this)