QLD Australian Consumer Law - Product liability for handicraft goods

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Matt Krik

15 September 2017
Hi all

I have a business idea to start up selling some handicrafts (Nothing mass produced with machinary, just handmade craftworks.) through online mediums etsy, gumtree, facebook etc., and engage in private sale at flea markets for some of my merchandise.

Now to cut things short, my merchandise comprise of combustible mineral oils, and I would like to get some input where I stand when it comes to product liability. To clarify, i'm not worried about ACCC coming knocking my door for peddling goods without guaranteeing consumer rights (refunds/return for change of mind), but more to do with sale of product that is borderline hazardous. The product being inclusive of combustible oil, would mean I need to provide some sort of product safety labels, because god forbid my customers would actually set the thing alight for sh*ts and giggles (excuse the language). Would I need to consider insurance - public liability and product etc, at this stage. Not sure if that would even be worthwhile, considering ill spend more out of pocket for an lightweight business operation that