VIC Australian Consumer Law - EB Games Sellling Preowned Games?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andrew Sloss

3 September 2017
Are EB Games allowed to sell a game that is used/second hand or as they call it preowned as new even if it has the original disk and booklet under Australian Consumer Law?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No. Once the goods are sold the first time they are no longer new, even if they are returned. Selling them as 'new' after that is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for making false or misleading representations about goods. Simply failing to label them are 'pre-owned' would still be a breach, because it is reasonable for a customer to expect the item is new in the store if it is not labelled otherwise.

Andrew Sloss

3 September 2017
No. Once the goods are sold the first time they are no longer new, even if they are returned. Selling them as 'new' after that is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for making false or misleading representations about goods. Simply failing to label them are 'pre-owned' would still be a breach, because it is reasonable for a customer to expect the item is new in the store if it is not labelled otherwise.

Hi Rob, thank you for replying.

I bought the games from the EB games website and they were advertised as being new. So when I received the games, they were preowned games. I emailed a complaint about that and they replied saying that because the games come with the booklet and maps, they consider them to be new and sell them as new.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Unless there's clear indication they're pre-owned (such as a sticker, or they've admitted the fact), it may be hard to prove they're not new. Either way, you can refer the matter to the ACCC to see if they're willing to investigate: Complaints & problems