Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Adult Maintenance - Property Settlement

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Yvonne Sullivan, 30 July 2014.

1. Yvonne Sullivan

If I'm getting a divorce, in general, how much maintanence would I be entitled to if I care for a disabled adult son and would I still be entitled to a higher division in the property settlement?

2. rebeccag

rebeccag Well-Known Member

G'day Yvonne,
    If you're responsible for caring for your disabled son from the marriage then you will likely be entitled to a higher amount to take that into account. Check out these LawAnswers Family Law Forum posts that touch on property settlement:
    There are a number of factors that are considered in a property settlement and maintenance (see the Family Law Courts "Maintenance" page, "Property and Money Matters" page and"Financial cases" page). Remember applications for spouse maintenance (if you are a party to a marriage) must be made within 12 months of your divorce becoming final. A family lawyer would be able to give you personalised advice based on your specific situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...