- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Adult Maintenance - Property Settlement

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Yvonne Sullivan, 30 July 2014.

  1. Yvonne Sullivan

    30 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    If I'm getting a divorce, in general, how much maintanence would I be entitled to if I care for a disabled adult son and would I still be entitled to a higher division in the property settlement?
  2. rebeccag

    rebeccag Well-Known Member

    8 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    G'day Yvonne,
    If you're responsible for caring for your disabled son from the marriage then you will likely be entitled to a higher amount to take that into account. Check out these LawAnswers Family Law Forum posts that touch on property settlement:
    There are a number of factors that are considered in a property settlement and maintenance (see the Family Law Courts "Maintenance" page, "Property and Money Matters" page and"Financial cases" page). Remember applications for spouse maintenance (if you are a party to a marriage) must be made within 12 months of your divorce becoming final. A family lawyer would be able to give you personalised advice based on your specific situation.

Share This Page