Absence of a chairperson at the directors' meeting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oolong

30 April 2020
Hi, everyone!
I got a question about whether it is possible that there is no chairperson at a directors' meeting? Will this meeting be invaild because of this?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
In practical terms, the constitution/rules of the body will provide for a selection of a chairperson from the participants in attendance (provided there is a quorum). What's the context of your question?

Oolong

30 April 2020
In practical terms, the constitution/rules of the body will provide for a selection of a chairperson from the participants in attendance (provided there is a quorum). What's the context of your question?
Thanks for answering.

It was a small proprietary company and three of the directors had a directors' meeting. But it didn't mention who is the chairperson. So I am confused will the lack of chairperson be an issue?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I’ve yet to see a resolution invalidated because someone wasn’t picked as a chairperson.

Thanks for answering.

It was a small proprietary company and three of the directors had a directors' meeting. But it didn't mention who is the chairperson. So I am confused will the lack of chairperson be an issue?
the constitution/rules of the body will provide for a selection of a chairperson from the participants in attendance .

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Will this meeting be invaild because of this?

Most likely no. However if participants at the meeting objected prior to any resolutions then there is a small chance the resolutions may not be valid. Need to read the constitution to know. It is unlikely the constitution would have a provision invalidating resolution based purely on non-declaration of a chairman. Small companies in reality operate very informally and it works - most of the time.