QLD Abandoned house

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rick96

1 December 2020
Found a property in Queensland, Australia that I believe is abandoned and I was wondering if it's possible to claim ownership of the property or maybe how to find out if it has an owner and how to contact them or if it's legal to enter the property and use adverse possession it appears to have been unvacant for numerous years and how that stuff works thanks

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Adverse possession takes 12 years in Queensland, and can be hard to prove.

Do some research to find the title description (lot on plan), which you can usually get through Council records, then do a title search. That will tell you the owner’s name. If you can search for a copy of the Form 24 that was lodged with the transfer of the title into their name (can’t recall offhand if you can easily do that) that will give you an address for notices.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It can also be helpful to understand that there is no concept of property that "nobody owns".
Every lot always vests SOMEwhere... even if it has been disused for an extended period.

Rick96

1 December 2020
Is there anyone here that knows the law of adverse possession that could privately message me I have found out it was purchased in 2007 to be broken down to use the land to turn into a retirement village type thing but the local council said no and looks abandoned ever since they said no