QLD Temporary Guardianship of child

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brad01

16 November 2019
Hi,
My infant child has been living in Australia with his Mum. Im moving to Australia in a few months. My name is on birth certificate. Recently the Mother has moved out of her home due to mental health issues. Subsequently the Grandmother has taken over care until the Mother can cope mentally with raising a child. The Grandmother wants to apply for temporary guardianship. My question - For that process will I need to be formally notified and formally sign documents supporting this? Or can it be approved with one parents consent (the mother)?

Thank you

Atticus

6 February 2019
The Grandmother wants to apply for temporary guardianship. My question - For that process will I need to be formally notified and formally sign documents supporting this? Or can it be approved with one parents consent (the mother)?
The consent of both parents is required....

If you are coming here in a few months to live, it may be wise to get proper legal advice before agreeing, or at least a provision that ceases or alters the grandmothers guardianship on your arrival... Is it really necessary for just a few months?. Among other things, being granted guardianship will make her eligible to claim child support... Just make sure you enter this fully aware of any consequences

Brad01

16 November 2019
The consent of both parents is required....

If you are coming here in a few months to live, it may be wise to get proper legal advice before agreeing, or at least a provision that ceases or alters the grandmothers guardianship on your arrival... Is it really necessary for just a few months?. Among other things, being granted guardianship will make her eligible to claim child support... Just make sure you enter this fully aware of any consequences