Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A father is the male parent of a child. Besides the paternal bonds of a father to his children, the father may have a parental, legal, and social relationship with the child that carries with it certain rights and obligations. An adoptive father is a male who has become the child's parent through the legal process of adoption. A biological father is the male genetic contributor to the creation of the infant, through sexual intercourse or sperm donation. A biological father may have legal obligations to a child not raised by him, such as an obligation of monetary support. A putative father is a man whose biological relationship to a child is alleged but has not been established. A stepfather is a male who is the husband of a child's mother and they may form a family unit, but who generally does not have the legal rights and responsibilities of a parent in relation to the child.
The adjective "paternal" refers to a father and comparatively to "maternal" for a mother. The verb "to father" means to procreate or to sire a child from which also derives the noun "fathering". Biological fathers determine the sex of their child through a sperm cell which either contains an X chromosome (female), or Y chromosome (male). Related terms of endearment are dad (dada, daddy), baba, papa, pappa, papasita, (pa, pap) and pop. A male role model that children can look up to is sometimes referred to as a father-figure.

View More On Wikipedia.org
  1. M

    VIC Child passport when father isn’t Australian citizen

    Hi. I am trying to obtain a passport for my daughter. We have a history of family violence and our intervention order expired one month ago after 2 years. I was unable to renew the intervention order as the court said since he hasn’t done anything wrong ( not hit us ) for a while they won’t...
  2. J

    QLD Father giving up parental rights

    Hello, My boys are now 12 and 13 and have chosen not to see their dad for the last 2 years. Their father has not done anything to help this, I have advised him to get a psychologist to help rebuild the relationship with the kids, and I'd bring the kids, but he refused. He's now happy to give up...
  3. C

    Step Parents

    Hi, wondering if anyone can help locate cases where a step-parent has been awarded ‘parental responsibility’ of a child in a 3 way court case? I am having trouble locating under what grounds this can occur, having regard for that person being a person concerned with the care and welfare of a...
  4. F

    VIC Joint executors and beneficiaries

    OK - The will states "I DIRECT my Trusties to sell my unit ..." (emphasis as printed) to date no probate has been applied for and the relocatable DPU resides on one 1 trustees property. There are several joint executors & trusties (they are the only beneficiaries listed and are all executors &...
  5. S

    VIC Hi. I got a cco 18 months. I just wana go india . My father is very critical treatment. Can I go or not?

    Hi got a cco. I wana go india because my father is critical treatment. Can I go or not?
  6. J

    QLD Request visitation with father

    My baby daddy doesn’t want to have contact with the child. He’s a fully functional human being that poses no threat or harm to the child. Can I get a court order against my kid’s father that makes him see him once a month or so? I hate to think my kid will never have a dad cause he’s a bit selfish
  7. C

    VIC Can a recovery order (submitted by father) be applied for if their is currently an IVO (against father) but children's names are spelt incorrectly?

    IVO was submitted by officer who (unknowingly) fell victim to false statement including incorrect surnames of children (to mothers maiden name). Mother has been asked to correct however has still refused to. Can a recovery order be issued given the children are not named (using legal name or...
  8. B

    NSW Adding father to birth certificate if mother refuses

    The mother of my child doesn't want me to have any rights (she told me like that). How can I add my name to the birth certificate as her biological father?
  9. T

    QLD Father not on birth certificate

    Hi, my son is 2 years old and I have asked my sons father if he would agree to sign over his parental rights, because he abandoned our son a year and a half ago and he agreed but I got my sons birth certificate in the mail and his fathers name isn’t on it but my son does have his last name, how...
  10. A

    VIC Father seeking reunification

    Am posting for a friend. Nil relation to previous posts (our situation resolved quite positively) Father has not seen child since 3 years of age, child has just turned 10. Father has had ocassional contact with mother since child was aged 5 requesting contact with the child. Mother was not...