SA Wedding Reception Venue Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bella

15 September 2014
I paid $3500 to a wedding venue for my son's wedding reception. Due to family reasons, I need the money back. The wedding isn't until April. Am I legally entitled to get this money refunded to me under Australian Consumer Law?

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Hi bella,
What does your contract or terms and conditions of booking with the venue say about refunding the deposit/cancellation?

bella

15 September 2014
Hi bella,
What does your contract or terms and conditions of booking with the venue say about refunding the deposit/cancellation?
Unfortunately I dont have terms and conditions as the contract is in my sons name. I made the payment directly to the venue and the woman remembers me but says I can not get my money refunded

AnnaLJ

16 July 2014
Hi Bella

Along the same lines as what has already been mentioned above, the resolution here is really dependent on whatever contract was signed at the time the deposit was made or, in the absence of any written agreement, the words exchanged between parties before the deposit was made.

I would find it hard to believe that $3,500 would be put down without any paperwork?