NSW Uncle Passed Away - Property Now for Sale?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

alexandrea

6 September 2014
My uncle passed away Dec 2012. We are waiting for this Dec 2014 for the courts to distribute his property. He had a girlfriend at the time he passed . We have just come to learn that one of his deceased estate and properties is up for sale? Is this legal ?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi alexandrea.

Do you know if there was a will?
Do you know anything about who is taking care of the estate?
Who is "we" ? your parent?

Almost two years is a long time to wait to ask questions? Why so long?

alexandrea

6 September 2014
It hasn't been 2 years yet since he died we are waiting for the settlement in Dec . We meaning my family and no will . My question is can a property be sold if the estate hasn't been distributed yet ?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Yes, as the estate cant be distributed unless its liquidated.

Why not sell the house?

alexandrea

6 September 2014
The house is for sale . We didn't ask for it to be sold . My uncle had a girlfriend and we think she or the bank are trying to sell it. The final date for people to come forward to claim on the estate is December so how can it be for sale now ?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
It wouldn't be the bank unless they defaulted on the loan if there is one.
Its probably the administrator of the estate.

I'm afraid to say it sounds like don't know whats going on at all.
You need to start by approaching the administrator. This could be the Public trustee or the girlfriend and find out what the deal is.
The administrator doesn't need the beneficiaries permission to sell the home.

Do you know who the beneficiaries are?

alexandrea

6 September 2014
My father (deceased only sibling)and her as she was his defacto. If the administrator has permission to sell the assets what can they do with the money ?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
If there was no will and no children the defacto gets the lot unless somebody disputes her right as defacto.
If the home is sold the cash is held in trust until distribution.

Was there some reason you thought you father was due something?

alexandrea

6 September 2014
The money that my uncle had was inherited from my grandparents who owned a family business. Who stated in there will that should b handed down to us.there grandchildren But he died of a heart attack at 52 before he wrote a will . The money wasn't earned by him or her therefore we r entitled to a percentage . I understand she is entitled to some but not all .