QLD Spousal Visa application while overseas

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mkr

11 January 2016
Hi there,
I am an Australian citizen. My employer has expatriated me overseas (to USA), and it is not exactly clear when I would return to Australia.
My defecto partner and I wish to remain together, and will eventually relocate to Australia. I have maintained a residence in Australia and have close family ties, though only return 3-4 times per year currently.
My question is, is it possible (or recommended) for my partner to submit a spousal temp residency visa now, even though it may not be clear exactly when we will return to Australia to live? Is it a problem to hold the resident visa for Australia, and not live in Australia continuously.

Or, is it better to wait until back in Australia, or when repatriation date is certain.
We would like to get the process moving sooner rather than later, but also don't want to cause complications or waste money by applying while both overseas.

Regards
mkr

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi. I can answer part of the question as long as you are working for Australian company who sent you oversees, that period is considered as Australian soil for immigration purposes. It is better to ask immigration lawyer about this (worth the investment) as it is a life decision. And do confirm my point above.