QLD Speeding Fines - Incorrect Infringement Details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jarrath

9 August 2015
I have been issued a speeding ticket in the semi that I drive. But instead of using the prime mover registration (which they are supposed to use) they have used the trailer rego. Can I fight this speeding fine or do I take it on the chin?

Cheers

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Fight it. The trailer is not a motorised vehicle and could be attatched to any prime mover. Their evidence is shaky.

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
Just jotting a line
- it might depend on the state your in due to state law and Police procedure
- but I've read that if there is an error that makes the police notice incorrect then it might not be valid or changeable - hence maybe challengable
- check if there may be any established procedure to report errors on the infringement notice (rather than contesting in court - write to someone quickly before that & so u maybe avoid that) in your state
- u could maybe write ask your local transport office / check any advice or notes that come with the notice/fine / check online at transport dept
- u could maybe wrote to the local Police superintendent at local police station / district station and advise there seems to be an error made

- or ask a criminal/traffic lawyer

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
Hi Again,

Other members far more experienced than me have commented on other pages that Police can change errors on traffic type fines.

I'm still guessing it's usually going to be state / territory specific as it's mostly gonna be state law. So good idea to check your local laws and procedures for transport depts and police in your state.

Below is a link to a Queensland Police manual

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporatedocs/OperationalPolicies/Documents/TrafficManual/Chapter8.pdf

It's describes in Chapter 8.7 in detail about how infringements are to be cancelled / waived. So it is possible for Police in Qld to still do it. But how often it occurs and what type of error if fatal enough to lead to cancelling / waiving an infringement. Not sure - see manual notes. Sounds like final
decision rests with a more senior officer - eg could be someone like the district superintendent whom u write to - check your state procedure / rules to see if it's possible to request review of infringement error - NB this is very different to contesting in court (best avoided) - in Qld you would like write in / apply for review of ticket error ASAP - check on any fine / notice form too in case it states how to this.

Other states may well be different.

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
Also see this Google type of search - especially for different/other states-

"speed camera calibration rules australia"

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
So
Also see this Google type of search - especially for different/other states-

"speed camera calibration rules australia"

Sorry, wrong thread