VIC Selling a Product from an overseas Company on my own website legality.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dossydossy

26 September 2020
To put it simply, I have found a foreign product (USA) that is not sold in the domestic market (Australia. It can be ordered and shipped to Australia from the products official company website but at a huge shipping cost.

Thing is, looking on Ebay and Amazon, anyone selling this product in Australia with cheap fast postage is selling it for double the price per unit that they purchased it for and it gets sold QUICKLY. Like the profits are incredible. (If bought in bulk to save on shipping)

So my question is, to make maximum profit and avoid Ebay taking over 11% fee on each sale. I have made a my own website to sell only this product, and the URL has the product name in it
Tysonproteinaustralia.com (hypothetical example)

Will it run into any legal trouble if this foreign company catches on that I have been reselling their product on a website that uses their trademarked product name in the URL?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Yes, very probably. I’d suggest doing some Google research on the concept of ‘passing off’.