Retaliation in the workplace

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

OmenTaco

18 September 2023
Our supervisors, manager and boss/owner at our motel resort have totally ignored a bullying/harrassment complaint made by my co-worker. I'm stuck in with it now because I backed her up about the bully. One of the wanna-be supervisors had an argument with me about it in front of everyone and now today I've been informed she went behind my back and complained to the big boss about us 2 being slow. Which is completely false, as we've never had any complaints before. Well, the big boss has now amped up our workload because of the lies they were told. A cover-up for the bullying complaint, no doubt. We're constantly watched on camera now. All other workers are allowed to work in pairs, which they can clean a room in 15 mins. One does bathrooms the other does kitchen and together they do the bedroom. Us 2 are now ordered to clean a room by ourselves in 30 mins. It's not that easy when you have to clean a bathroom, a bedroom/make beds and a kitchen by yourself. We're also constantly reminded that we shouldn't have opened our mouths.
All workers have agreed that the bully must be fired, but when it comes to telling supervisors/management/ boss, they back down and don't say a word.
Now today, my co-worker who made the complaint has resigned because she can't do it anymore. I had to comfort her as she was so sad and angry that she was just thrown to the wolves. She has been employed there for over 7 years, no complaints and this bully has been employed for less than a year. Seems like the more of an ass you are here, the more praise you get.
I really don't want to quit because something needs to be done.... both the bully and the boss need to be punished for not taking it seriously.
So is this retaliation and can I really do anything?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
So is this retaliation and can I really do anything?
Most likely, and yes.

You can lodge a bullying complaint with the Fair Work Commission.

Reactions: OmenTaco