VIC Resignation due to illness

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tweetee

10 April 2019
Hello, I am a salaried employee, and I wish to resign from my position due to medical reasons(stress). The questions I have are as follows:

Can I resign via email sent to my boss and HR representative?

I have company property that includes a mobile phone and a security pass, am I able to drop these items at the security office addressed to my boss?

Because of my diagnosed condition, I feel I am unable to go to my work place to hand these things over for fear of running into my boss. The thought of that makes me extremely anxious.

Thoughts? Thank you any answers appreciated

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can I resign via email sent to my boss and HR representative?

Yes, though should be from an email address work recognises as belonging to you. I'd also mention that HR can contact you on your mobile for confirmation.

I have company property that includes a mobile phone and a security pass, am I able to drop these items at the security office addressed to my boss?

Yes, though you should obtain a receipt when handing them in. If necessary take your own receipt (2 copies) and have security sign at least one copy that you take away.

BTW, is the stress caused by work? If yes, have you considered a workcover claim? It may be you have other options available to you and you are welcome to call me for a quick chat about what rights you may have.