Relocation 70km away

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mickayla

21 July 2023
Hi everyone,

I want to move to the country 70km away from my ex with my 2 kids.

To give context when me and my ex seperated he wouldn’t leave the family home, told me to leave with the kids and find my own place. I couldn’t afford anything in the town we were in and I had friends in the country town so I moved up there with their dads permission.
My father helped me to buy a little place there.

I was there for a year and had good friends but was so lost emotionally and I didn’t know what direction my life was headed there without a partner or a career, I felt I should come back to the city to my old friends and so I moved back down.

After 6 months I realised I hate it in this town, it holds old memories, my friends that were here are busy all the time and I am working working working constantly to pay the bills as everything is more expensive.

I also have a partner now that lives where I was in the country (ironically this is how it has happened) we connected after I moved back to the city.

I want to move back up to the country to have my partners support and be less financially stressed.

My ex is now in a new relationship and wants 50/50 care and is also saying no to me moving.
There are not parenting plans or parenting orders in place. And I have documented his behaviours over the last 2 years - a lot of emotional neglect and coercive control in our relationship including him leaving his children’s birthday parties half way, not watching their concerts, abandoning me in the hospital after I had a traumatic birth with our child, not seeking therapy to help mend anything after relentlessly asking and history of alcohol use and blow ups when challenged etc etc

My question is, with this information- could I just move back to the country or would it be best to file for a relocation order and or parenting order.

I can’t afford a lawyer, I would have to represent myself.

Also note - he has the kids 4 nights a fortnight and I have offered for him to continue having that much time but in a block, and I have offered to drive half way to do drop off and pick up which is a 40 min drive.

And what do you think in your opinion and experience would be the outcome?

shallice

23 April 2017
First step is to set up mediation to discuss contact and relocation. You also need to think about options if you do want to move away. For example, you could propose doing the full 70km round trip.

Reactions: Mickayla