Private Seller - Buyer Asking for Refund on Gumtree?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Graham

4 May 2014

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au

nicolas_b

18 August 2017
Hi,

Sorry for digging up a quite old thread.

My issue is the following:

I’m from overseas, in Australia for a limited time only (one more year normally). My girlfriend got pregnant therefore we gave up the motorbike for a car. And for the soon-to-be born baby, we needed a car seat.

Not really aware of the applicable Australian Standards, I bought a second hand car seat from the #1 brand in Europe (which also sells in Australia) on Gumtree for 250$.

When I went to a certified restraint fitter, he informed me that this specific baby seat model did not comply with Australian Standards (it was without doubt purchased overseas), and is therefore not suitable for the car and illegal.

An information confirmed by the manufacturer and by NSW Centre for Road Safety.
The seller didn’t mention that the seat was purchased overseas and did not comply with Australian Standards.

I know that a commercial reseller can get in trouble for selling not Australian Standards items that, by law, have to comply.

What about a private seller?

I could resell it myself, but this wouldn’t be fair. I’d like to withdraw from the sale, but would like to know if the fact that the item is illegal in Australia will give me more leverage.

Thanks in advance.

P.-S.: I’m in NSW

nicolas_b

18 August 2017
Note: the seat is perfectly safe - maybe even safer than some approved models - and would suit newer Australian cars with Isofix. Still, the fact is: it doesn’t comply with Australian Standards.

Hugo Pepper

8 June 2019
So I sold my Xbox on gumtree for $330 and was in perfect condition when sold, 2 months later he has ask for full refund because it is supposedly stop working. I am only young and made a mistake of saying yes to a refund and then reconsidered what I said and didn’t think I needed to pay for a refund. And then sent me threats like “I know where you live and your messing with the wrong guy”.
Is consumer legally aloud to ask for full refund, if so do I have to pay?