QLD Overtime Hours on Salary

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CryptoTogs

15 May 2023
Is it o.k that I am being forced to work a 50hour week, I am under the Vehicle Repair Service and retail award 2020, I have sent emails to my employer asking for my actual working hours and break times etc.. and the response I get is "you are on a salary, it does not matter how many hours you work!" I have told them I am extremely unhappy and they try to say that I want more money just because I want renumeration when all I want is to work a 38-maximum 44 hour week!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends. You need to evaluate your salary against the award to work out which is better/ If the award is better, then your employer is likely underpaying you.

Working 50 hours weekly on a regular basis at face value seems unreasonable.

CryptoTogs

15 May 2023
I think its very unreasonable, I do not get any time in lieu and its consistant every week. I takes my rate down to $40 an hour working a 50 hour week which I have not been on since i turned tradesman in my early 20's

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Keep a record of all hours worked. You have up to six years to make a claim. This is a rolling six years so if you work more than 6 years, you cannot claim for periods older than 6 years.