VIC Not Allowed to Grow Facial Hair in Private School - My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Musaab Syed

29 February 2016
I am a year 11 student and have been attending this private school since year 7. In year 7, they made my parents sign a contract in which they outlined that students are not allowed to grow facial hair. Now my beliefs have changed and I no longer want to shave. I don't want to change schools as this school is the only good one in my area. And even if I do, I wouldn't get the right subjects and it would be detrimental to my education.

So, taking into account my situation, what are my rights/options?

S

Sophea

Hi Musaab Syed,

Private schools are independent institutions and have the right to dictate how their students present themselves. If you choose to attend you agree to abide by such code. If you don't want to abide by the code, don't go there. The fact that in your opinion, you would not obtain the same level of education at a nearby public school is immaterial and doesn't justify a private school bending their code for you.

Check out this similar thread:VIC - Rights to Dye Hair at School? | LawAnswers.com.au

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your options:

1. Continue to shave and attend the same school
2. Change schools
3. Engage your own tutors that will accept your values.

Also, remember that rights always come with obligations and responsibilities.

And the school has the right to set their own rules. You can choose to follow their rules and values, or change schools and follow your own set of values. This is the beauty of our system. You have the freedom to choose what you want. What you don't have, however, is the right to force a school to follow your values.