VIC Lost Mobile Phone Turned Into Police - Incriminating Texts Evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
25 May 2015
I lost my mobile phone the other day and it was turned in to a police station, I'm worried they will look at incriminating texts of drug deals

If this is the only evidence they have, is it possible to be charged with anything related to drugs?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Most things are possible, however it is extremely unlikely. They are not likely to win at court showing the court a mobile phone and nothing else.

BTW I am personally against illegal drug selling and dealing. Stop destroying people's lives just so you can make money or feed your own habit. I know someone who has lost his job and maybe his relationship because of ice. Reconsider what you are doing, think of the hurt you are causing.

AnnaLJ

16 July 2014
Hi,
I agree with Rod that in absence of any other supporting evidence, it is unlikely that text messages alone could support a drugs charge. I also think it is unlikely that the police would go through you phone for anything other than trying to identify you to get the phone back to you.

Of course, there is always the chance that if they do happen to read these texts they may be the pre-curser to you becoming a person of interest, and they may then look into you further.

On a more general point, nothing good can come of you being involved with illegal drugs so I hope you are taking active steps to cut ties with the trade.

Anna

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @AnnaLJ - it may well prompt the police to look into you further.