WA Legal to Add Middle Name for a Minor?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 January 2017
As a minor, I have no legal documents utilising my given name other than my birth certificate, my mother's healthcare and education records. I would like to add a middle name to my name.

I have the orthodox first name, middle name and last name, of which I would like to keep all with the addition of simply using the new name as a middle name as well. Is it illegal to utilise both names in legal documents and registration in the future, e.g. when I register a card or medical issues, etc. or is it legal to use it all?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
You can use it without any official change of name taking place (it's not illegal to do that), but for something such as a passport or driver's licence, you will only be able to use your legal name. They will only put the official name on such documents.

Reactions: Drew Daisy Jean

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
As a general thing, you can have one "name of record" ("official name")
but go by another in day to day life, as long as doing so is not misleading or deceptive.

That's how somebody called "John" can go by "Jack" without it being a drama.
Also how somebody with a name like (for example) "Jane Alexandra Smith"
can go by "Alex" if she wants.

Think how many married people use one surname at work (often their birth surname),
and another surname (often their married surname) in private life.
And of course. many public figures have one name for work and another for private life.
Same same... as long as doing so so is not misleading or deceptive.

But...Using two names routinely can be a problem for "normal people"
because of the ever increasing need to be able to prove who you are
in more and more situations.
Also, so as not to appear vain, foolish, or affected.

Registering a change of name is not difficult in itself. Forms and fees.
One thing though - in WA, as a minor, I'm pretty sure you'll need parental consent.
WA Registry of Births Details and Marriages has some useful info.