Is it Copyright Infringement to Digitise (RIP) Movies I Own?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Camera

30 August 2014
Brisbane
I collected over 800 DVDs/Blu Rays DVD at home. I would like to digitalise them onto hard disk for backup purpose as well as convenient for me to watch the movies in other rooms instead of moving and install my blu ray player every time .

I understand that copy movie you don't own is 100% infringe the copyright of the movie owner.

My questions are:
1. If I digitalise (RIP) my DVDs, CDs for my own purpose, is it still illegal?
2. Sometimes it take too long to rip a blu ray disk, it is easier to download if from somebody who already does the job. Is it okay/legal for me to do that if I own the disk already?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Practically speaking, you should be alright to digitalise your media as long as you do not distribute this digital version to anyone else. This includes any file sharing you weren't aware of. Make sure that the software you are using to digitalise your media does not also keep a copy of the media in its system/server. If you were to download it from somebody else, who did not have the rights to redistribute, then yes, this would be a breach of copyright law.

Reactions: Tim W