LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Is it Copyright Infringement to Digitise (RIP) Movies I Own?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Camera, 30 August 2014.

1. Camera

Camera Member

I collected over 800 DVDs/Blu Rays DVD at home. I would like to digitalise them onto hard disk for backup purpose as well as convenient for me to watch the movies in other rooms instead of moving and install my blu ray player everytime .

I understand that copy movie you don't own is 100% infringe the copyright of the movie owner.

My questions are:
    1. If I digitalise (RIP) my DVDs, CDs for my own purpose, is it still illegal?
    2. Sometimes it take too long to rip a blu ray disk, it is easier to download if from somebody who already does the job. Is it okay/legal for me to do that if I own the disk already?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Practically speaking, you should be alright to digitalise your media as long as you do not distribute this digital version to anyone else. This includes any file sharing you weren't aware of. Make sure that the software you are using to digitalise your media does not also keep a copy of the media in its system/server. If you were to download it from somebody else, who did not have the rights to redistribute, then yes, this would be a breach of copyright law.

Tim W likes this.