VIC I filed an affidavit for initial application and found typos in affidavit after I filed it.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Hi there,

I recently filed an Affidavit in support of Initial Application. But I noticed 4 typos in my affidavit after I had filed and served the affidavit. two typos contain incorrect "year".

How and when can I seek the typos to be amended?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What are the other 2 mistakes?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You can likely amend the affidavit (cross out incorrect test - must still be legible, add in correct text, initial change), re-date, re-sign and refile, else if the registry gets narky (non-legal term) and rejects the amended affidavit, you do a new affidavit listing the mistakes and corrections to the original affidavit.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
You can likely amend the affidavit (cross out incorrect test - must still be legible, add in correct text, initial change), re-date, re-sign and refile, else if the registry gets narky (non-legal term) and rejects the amended affidavit, you do a new affidavit listing the mistakes and corrections to the original affidavit.
Thanks Rod! I just found out and am reading Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (Family Law) Rules 2021 , rule 2.50 to 2.54. It describes the steps you mentioned.

Can you please also help clarify Rule 2.28, and Table 2.2 of the Rules 2021? I have already served the party my Initiating Application form + other documents inlcuidng original Affidavit via Personal Service. Can I now serve the amended affidavit via Ordinary service?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
The rules you quoted do not apply to affidavits.

If the other side has responded, then ordinary service to the address they provide (email is an option), else personal service.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
The rules you quoted do not apply to affidavits.

If the other side has responded, then ordinary service to the address they provide (email is an option), else personal service.
Thanks heaps Rod! Much appreciated.