Homework Question - Who Owns Copyright of Phone Video Recording?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 November 2016
I've gone to see a cover band perform at a bar. I recorded the band using my phone and put the video onto my website. I asked no one for permission to record or upload the video. Someone then downloaded my video and made an edit which went viral online.

Who owns the copyright to the original video, myself, the band, the venue? Has copyright been infringed?
What laws apply?

(SA)

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
I assume that you're taking IP at the moment? From the framing of the last part of your question, to me at least, it would appear that you lack a basic understanding in where/when copyright subsists in a work. This is really pretty straight forward stuff and would encourage you to learn the material first rather than asking for an answer.

In order to point you in the right direction I would suggest that you look at ss, 246, 248 Copyright Act (after learning the basics). In fact read through Part XIA of the Act. Oh and CR is Cth legislation so doesn't particularly matter what state you're in.