QLD High Collapsed Retaining Wall - Who Can Repair It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharkbait

26 July 2015
Hi, I have a question to the repairs of a retaining wall that has collapsed.

I live in a town house complex in Qld/Brisbane and the body corporate is responsible for repairing a retaining wall that has collapsed due to water coming down the hill from the uphill properties, which has soaked the wooden retaining wall and the below land.

The retaining wall is 1.38cm high at the highest point and 1m (5 sleepers with 20cm width) at the collapsed spot.

I would like to know, who is legally allowed to repair the retaining wall?
The contractor, who is been given this task by the Body Corporate, is only a good handy man and I am concerned that a repair by an unqualified person will lower the value of the property or even affect insurance.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ask your local council if a permit is required.

Retaining walls, especially ones of the low height you mentioned are generally easy to do and do not require much skill. You just need someone who is handy with their hands and knows how to keep things straight.

The body corporate may be trying to keep the cost down for owners while still getting a 'nice' wall. This is not unreasonable.

Sharkbait

26 July 2015
Thank you very much for your response.

A council approval is needed for BUILDING a wall higher than 1m, but I'm not sure about repairing.

My concern is that the damage is caused by down running storm water, and current plan to rectify the problem is to simply rebuild the retaining wall. However, this does not address the storm water issue. The storm water, responsible for the wall collapse, will still impair the wall. The water currently runs along the entire property and is carrying away land of each lot.

I had a plumber looking at it and he said, there needs to be a drain build behind the retaining wall (which obviously has to be done professionally), however, could not advise on the legal side of REBUILDING the wall.

So I'm not sure whom to approach in regards to the plan to rectify the problem.

Thanks