WA Former Employer Telling Clients I've Left Town - Employment Law Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kylie Taylor

21 December 2017
I am an accountant in a country town. I was very unexpectedly made redundant in September, but was lucky enough to find a new job within a couple of weeks. I have been very careful not to approach any former clients, but if myself or my partner run into former clients in town and are asked, we tell them where I am working now.

In my industry, client loyalty is very high and I have a lot of long term former clients who were very happy with the work I did for them. I have recently found out that my former employer is telling any clients who ask to book in with me that I have left town and can no longer do work for them because I don't live here. I have former clients who have said that if they weren't told that, they'd have rung around the other local firms to see where I was working now.

The salary at my new job is very much dependent on the billable hours I do, and whilst I would never actively poach clients, the lies my former employer is telling about me is preventing clients from choosing to move their business to my new employer. Do I have any legal recourse under employment law here to get them to stop saying I've left town? It's damaging my reputation and standing in the community.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do I have any legal recourse here to get them to stop saying I've left town?

Yes. Suggest you get a lawyer to write and send a cease and desist letter.

Matthew Lynch

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Sydney
lawtap.com
Hi Kylie - this comes under defamation law rather than employment law. Additionally, if there is no restraint clause in your contract - or if it is an unreasonable restraint clause, then there is nothing stopping you approaching former clients for their business.

If you would like advice or assistance dealing with your former employer, let me know.

Clancy

6 April 2016
If you have solid evidence your former employer is doing this, would it provide a legal pretext for you to contact all your previous clients to inform them you have not moved out of town?