Fence enquiry

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
I'm hoping this will be a simple answer.

I have a new neighbour, and it looks like he is going to build a couple of units on the property. The fence we share is damaged, and he has offered to replace and build it if I pay half. I am pretty sure he is a builder, and the price looks pretty hefty. He got his business partner to drop a letter off to us, saying he would like to rebuild and had the cost in the letter. What can I do in regards to this? Is there a time limit on me getting back in touch with him?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on what State you live in. Fences are controlled by State based laws.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the letter is a formal fencing notice you have 30 days to respond.

Suggest you get your own quote asap.

And sometimes builders will pay the whole cost just because they want a new fence. Depends on how badly damaged your current fence is.

Reactions: Jaded69

Jaded69

14 June 2023
I'm hoping this will be a simple answer.

I have a new neighbour, and it looks like he is going to build a couple of units on the property. The fence we share is damaged, and he has offered to replace and build it if I pay half. I am pretty sure he is a builder, and the price looks pretty hefty. He got his business partner to drop a letter off to us, saying he would like to rebuild and had the cost in the letter. What can I do in regards to this? Is there a time limit on me getting back in touch with him?
Hi, you aren’t obliged to accept his offer, you need to contact the dispute settlement centre, the council don’t deal with fencing, they’ll refer you here as it’s VCAT who would determine any disputes. You are welcome to obtain your own quotes and ask him to go with one of yours, and you are also able to advise him that you can’t afford to assist with your half of the cost at the minute, and are not bound to agree to anything, but if he’s building units, he’s going to need that fence done, with it without you, so I’d say you would do well to submit other quotes up to 3, to show you’re willing to help but if he’s not agreeable, because he’s being greedy, I’d say sorry, can’t help then, and he can construct the fence himself at his own cost… Hope this helps

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
Hi, you aren’t obliged to accept his offer, you need to contact the dispute settlement centre, the council don’t deal with fencing, they’ll refer you here as it’s VCAT who would determine any disputes. You are welcome to obtain your own quotes and ask him to go with one of yours, and you are also able to advise him that you can’t afford to assist with your half of the cost at the minute, and are not bound to agree to anything, but if he’s building units, he’s going to need that fence done, with it without you, so I’d say you would do well to submit other quotes up to 3, to show you’re willing to help but if he’s not agreeable, because he’s being greedy, I’d say sorry, can’t help then, and he can construct the fence himself at his own cost… Hope this helps
I appreciate all your feedback and will now get extra quotes.

Thank you both