NSW fence already in disrepair. who pays for new fence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ROBBIE12

17 July 2021
I bought my house 3 years ago. Side picket fence with my neighbour was then completely broken down. Neiughbour had lived there about 5 years already. They now want me to pay for new fence. The fence is on my land (by a few cm's).

What I understand is that under normal situations the Dividing Fences Act indicates that a boundary fence is the property of both neighbours and costs are shared 50/50. It does not matter on whose property the fence is.

However, can I assume that in my situation as neighbour had allowed it to fall into this disrepair that they have responsibility for damage and so I do not need to pay costs?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
However, can I assume that in my situation as neighbour had allowed it to fall into this disrepair that they have responsibility for damage and so I do not need to pay costs?
No, you cannot make that assumption.

Last edited:

barrysmith

23 July 2023
Can I claim some contribution from neighbour to the condition of dilapidated fence, say they pay 75% cost?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What you cannot do is get it done and then
turn up at their front door out of nowhere
and insist that they pay half a bill
that they have had no part in until then.
You'll be lucky to get more then 50% in any event

Atticus

6 February 2019
Go through the proper formal process which includes a quote for a fence, possibly a survey as the fence is on your land.. May be made more complex if there are encroachments as a result of the fence not being on the correct legal boundary.

Generally, the share is 50% each of the cost of a 'standard' fence. If one party wants a more expensive fence than standard, the extra cost should be borne by them