QLD Family Court Orders - Transferring School - Need Ex's Permission?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jess86

30 November 2015
Hi, I want to know my rights as a parent. I have family court orders that say I have custody of children and that my ex has the kids half each school holiday. He so far has not adhered to that at all and when he returns from overseas is demanding 50-50. I need to understand whether I need his permission to move the kids to a different school which will be only 20 mins from the current.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yes, you do.... but if he is not participating in dropping kids off at school then you could change schools and then he would have to take you to court and it might not be worth his while...

N Knight

27 December 2015
I would disagree with sammy01. If the Court Order provides for Sole Parental Responsibility, then you have to advise him. However, if the Court Order says Equal Shared Parental Responsibility the you have to make a joint decision.

NOTE: A 50/50 arrangement in relation to the children does not equal Equal Shared Parental Responsibility