SA False positive swab drug test

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Surrealistmelissa

8 March 2021
I have never taken methamphetamine or MDMA. In the last years I have tested positive, always faint line roadside and lab tests come back just inside the cut off level. Why would this happen? I cannot find anything to explain why? It has ruined my life. I have lost my licence and cannot work as a registered nurse. Yet I have never taken drugs. Has anyone else ever had this experience? I am at my wits end.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Years? Plural?
You have tested positive more than once?
Has a roadside test ever proceeded to a prosecution?

You handle S8s at work...?

Surrealistmelissa

8 March 2021
I have tested positive 3 times. I do handle so medications. But not in the last 6 months. I am to appear in court for the first time on the 30th March. For the second time I was tested. Which was in November 2019. Today pulled over and again positive. I have never taken methamphetamine. Not once. I don't understand. I am a single mother and legal aid will not assist with this type of matter.

Ciel

18 February 2021
I am not a lawyer or a medical professional. However, I am qualified for “drugs of abuse” testing by buccal swab or urine analysis. I have personally tested myself and have too had a faint line for methamphetamine even though I have never been near the drug or a user in my life. The line completely disappeared within two minutes and I questioned the trainer why. He said that because I take OxyContin for pain relief regularly, it also reacts to the chemical that shows meth. But the fact it disappeared shows that I am not a user. Do you take any other medication that may be causing an interference to the result?
And yes you are entitled to legal aid. They are there to help and represent those that can’t. Give them a call.

Surrealistmelissa

8 March 2021
I am not a lawyer or a medical professional. However, I am qualified for “drugs of abuse” testing by buccal swab or urine analysis. I have personally tested myself and have too had a faint line for methamphetamine even though I have never been near the drug or a user in my life. The line completely disappeared within two minutes and I questioned the trainer why. He said that because I take OxyContin for pain relief regularly, it also reacts to the chemical that shows meth. But the fact it disappeared shows that I am not a user. Do you take any other medication that may be causing an interference to the result?
And yes you are entitled to legal aid. They are there to help and represent those that can’t. Give them a call.
I take medications for PTSD and insomnia. I also have prn medication, as needed, but as far as I am aware none of these medications contain anything like amphetamines..