VIC Facebook Group Admin and Legal Liability regarding meetups.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CuriousKate

28 December 2018
Hi everyone,

I am the sole group admin (have two moderators) of a 4,000+ membership here in Melbourne. We are a dog group - Bayside Dog Owners Group - and we used to regularly have meetups with people and dogs until someone told me I could be held liable if something goes awry at one of these gatherings.

I need to know if that is true?

We had weekly events - advertised privately within our group. Anywhere from 5 to 40+ dogs/people would turn up. I am worried that if there were a serious incident between dogs (and/or people) happened - can I be held responsible even if I am not there?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depending on circumstances, yes and yes.

See this page: What is an incorporated association?

You can DIY or see a lawyer to become incorporated, and then take out some public liability insurance.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
@CSFLW - A facebook group is basically like any physical community group but nearly always without a constitution or any defined rules (you can do anything on the internet these days) - meetings etc are nearly always conducted online if any take place at all. One person creates it (the admin) and invites others to join. The admin might set rules etc, but whether they are enforcable or not would be debatable without a constitution.

If there's no constitution or registration of any kind, I think the OP should definately be concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: CuriousKate