QLD Executor of Will Withholding Money from Beneficiary?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shell72

22 February 2016
My dad passed away 3 years ago and I am a beneficiary. There is property still to be sold and we have all had an amount of money from the executor of will.

I have since been homeless and the executor will not release money for me to provide for my family. I have everyday needs and I have to pay some outstanding bills, etc., so we can move on with life. All three beneficiaries have an amount of money that the executor is holding onto.

The others beneficiaries are ok but I am a single mum and have 4 children to look after.

What can I do? The bills just keep rolling in.

Jacqui Brauman

15 January 2016
Victoria
www.tbalaw.com.au
Unfortunately, it may take some money to get the money, if there is actually any for a further interim distribution. Find a solicitor locally and see if the estate would pay the legal fees if you had to apply to Court to get the executor to meet their obligations. Be aware, though, there may be other reasons why a further interim distribution cannot be made.

shell72

22 February 2016
Thanks for the help Jaqui, there is definitely money there from the properties sold.

I will see if I can find a local solicitor to maybe help me. What I was more wanting to know was if he has a legal obligation to help me, knowing what I am going through and especially when there is money available. He is acting like it is a trust fund and I'm under 21 and incapable of looking after my own affairs.

This shouldn't be his concern as his job is to distribute what is from the estate.