Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Divorce - Entitled to a Legal Aid QLD or VIC Family Lawyer?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Tina T, 12 January 2015.

1. Tina T

Tina T Member

I am now living in Victoria having moved from Queensland approximately 4 months ago. I want to divorce my ex husband that still lives in Queensland, we have been separated for at least 4 to 5 yrs. I don't want to have Any personal contact with him, but am very keen to begin the process for a much needed divorce. I have a current Health Care Card and receive a Centrelink benefit. Due to the fact my ex is a bully I don't want to have to have contact with him directly in regards to Any and All aspects of this process.

Therefore am I entitled to a legal aid QLD or VIC lawyer to help me obtain this divorce in the easiest quietest manner?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

You don't need a lawyer or even your ex's approval to obtain a divorce. You can apply through the court on your own. The cost is presently $800 for a solo application, but given that you are on some benefits, you may be entitled a discount. You will also need to serve your ex with the application prior to the court date.

A divorce only ever really becomes messy if there's a property settlement or kids involved. Otherwise, it's fairly straight forward because Australian family law works on a 'no fault' basis, meaning a divorce is granted when the relationship has broken down irretrievably.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tina T

Tina T Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I have looked online and see there are a couple of ways for me too proceed with the divorce without a lawyer. I will be taking that avenue. The other reason I don't want to be in direct contact is because things will become extremely stressful and nerve wrecking for me when it comes time for settlement, or have I missed the time frame for there to be a settlement due to the fact I've left it so long to file for divorce? If you can possibly answer this question too I'll be grateful.

4. Tina T

Tina T Member

May I please add there are no dependants involved.

5. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

A property settlement can be sought by either party up to 12 months after the divorce is finalised. If you are not seeking a property settlement, it may be best not stress too much on this issue - most divorces taking place after a long separation don't accompany a property settlement.

Hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Tina T

Tina T Member

There was no property brought whilst we were together, I do know that he has in the last year purchased a unit. I therefore presume that there will not be any kind of settlement? Again thank you for your time and advise.