LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA Distinctiveness/Suggestive for Trademark Registration?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Alexanderbeetle, 13 March 2015.

1. Alexanderbeetle

[*City*] [*Profession*] Certification Program for providing training services in that city in that profession. I suspect lacking inherent distinctiveness, and/or descriptive of the services - although possibly could show prior extensive use, or could it be argued as merely suggestive for trademark registration?

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Are you trying to avoid breaching someone's trademark or do you want to register your own trademark? If you want to register your own trademark, there is a lot of information about who can and cannot apply and what the rules for trademarking certain words and phrases are on the IP Australia website: Trade marks | IP Australia

3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

4. Alexanderbeetle

5. DennisD

DennisD Well-Known Member

Hi there

Apologies however I don't think I quite understand the question. If you could please clarify it, or otherwise answer Ivy's query, that'd be great

I suggest that a sensible first step for someone who wants to evaluate their chances of a streamlined trademark registration process would be to start with ATMOSS searches, as Sophea suggests. Those searches are free and in my view very useful at the outset to identify potential issues (if any)

Sophea likes this.
  6. ronnygage

ronnygage Member

I think With regard to trademark significance, matter may be categorized along a continuum, ranging from marks that are highly distinctive to matter that is a generic name for the goods or services.