QLD Defamation for Google review

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danny chen

24 April 2018
I engaged a solicitor to sort out my shop lease 2 years ago. However through out the process I felt I was over charged and the solicitor wasn't that polite. Telling me that "I know you want to have a big bang in my bucks" and always can't provide me a fee quote.

So two week ago I left a Google review or feedback on his company profile. Saying be aware as this solicitor is rude and rip off.

Now the solicitor sent me a defamation letter threatening me to pay him 5000 dollars to settle this. Or will take me to court.

I felt my comment was true and honest. What should I do now.?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Refer him to the Queensland Law Society and the Legal Services Commission.

For a start he may have breached the requirements under the legislation by not providing you with a quote for fees. Anything with professional costs of $1500 or more needs to have a costs agreement.

He may also have breached the Australian Solicitor Conduct Rules in his conduct with respect to the defamation letter. Not only for the fact that he sent it, but also that he has ‘demanded’ $5000 to settle it.