SA Credit Corp

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

grannybellc

5 September 2020
Hi - a former work colleague advised me via Messenger that a gentleman from Queensland had contacted her seeking to speak with me about a business matter. He would not provide any details, merely a phone number.
I googled his name and phone number and worked out he is an employee of Credit Corp.
I emailed him to seek clarity regarding his contact but he failed to provide any details unless I registered through the Credit Corp self service portal.
I should confirm that I am currently o/s caring for elderly parents and have been since April 2019. At this stage I am unlikely to return to Australia until early 2022 as I would prefer my son finishes high school without any further disruptions.
I have forwarded an email to the gentleman, confirming I was aware he contacted my former work colleague and that I wished to know what he wanted. He emailed me back and confirmed that I needed to register via the self referral portal and then he would tell me more. I have declined to do this.
However, I suspect that this is about a $2500 debt that I owe Go Mastercard. I had been making payments until September 2019, however, I must admit with stress of giving up my job and moving my family half way around the world to care for my elderly parents, it completely slipped my mind. Probably in part because I didn't receive any email reminders. Although I do not recall if I updated my email contact address with Go Mastercard.
Over the last few hours I have read a number of horror stories about Credit Corp and the significant hike in debts due to default interest rates as high as 40% I am worried that the debt I had is now significantly higher than I can afford to pay.
I would struggle to pay $2500 as it is, let alone the interest.
I am keen to purchase property in Australia on my return. I had an excellent credit history prior to this one default, hence I am also extremely concerned of the potential impact this may have on my credit history and ability to secure home loan on return.
What would you advise I do??
Thank you.