QLD Copyright - Using Free Images from the Internet?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

StaceyC

22 March 2016
I am about to start a business which is unique, however, there is an existing market. It is selling books where the pages are folded to create images and words. In order to do this, I have purchased a software that creates the patterns from images that I either capture, or download free, or purchase off the internet. I am confused by the copyright of such images. I have the following questions:

1. If I download a free image that is not stock off the internet and create a folded book from it, is what I created copyrighted?

2. If I create my own pattern from a free image I have downloaded off the internet and sell the pattern for other people to fold the book, is my pattern covered by copyright?

3. If I create a pattern from a free image I have downloaded off the internet, and someone else has already done the same, however, they do not own the copyright on the image that was downloaded as it was free, am I breaching copyright laws?

S

Sophea

In order for a work to be copyrighted it must be original. Therefore if you are not producing original works, then you cannot own copyright in it.