VIC Copyright on Images?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tic

18 July 2015
So I have done some rudimentary research into the copyright surrounding using images from the web.

I am planning to develop a website of informative nature (not aiming to sell anything). I want to provide a unique collection of information that I don't believe has been done yet. I would like to use images to support the text I provide and to educate and inform the viewer.

I am unsure of where I sit.

Either - Using the image for educational purposes AND using it sparingly (once for the relevant text).
"Yes if you are using an image in an educational or research setting, for limited non-profit uses you are usually safe to use the image without permission."
Or - publishing the image in a fact-based context:
"Possibly. On a case-by-case basis, an image may be safe to use under fair use laws if the image is published in a non-biased way in order to inform or educate the public for the public's good."

Am I right in thinking that fair use copyright applies in this case?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Tic,

This website, are you planning on making money from it at all? Eg via referrals or advertising space? Because this would take you out of the not-for-profit category.
You need to look up the definition of educational, however I assume that it applies to courses, programs, schools etc. and your website sounds like it is more information provision than educational.

Reactions: Tim W

Tic

18 July 2015
Hi Ivy,

Thanks for the reply. I did not plan for it to be a money maker, but I cannot be sure what it will turn into, if anything.

Regarding "educational" - I found this definition, I'm not sure where the best place to look would be though I have found this quote from In the context of income tax law and charity status, Canada's Supreme Court defined education using these words in Vancouver Society, at ¶77 and ¶161:
"... information or training is provided in a structured manner and for a genuinely educational purpose - that is, to advance the knowledge or abilities of the recipients - and not solely to promote a particular point of view or political orientation."

As in the picture will accompany and complement some text to help describe and educate the viewer on the particular item or whatever it may be. It is very early stages for me but I just want to start off on the right foot.