NSW Commercial Law on Selling Books Published Outside of Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TKS

1 September 2016
Hi,

My father is in the process of publishing a book on Geology of Pakistan in Pakistan and already have a pre-order from Australia and, as I am currently living in Sydney, he wants to mail maximum of 20 copies which I can directly deliver from here, if ordered by somebody in Australia.

I need to know the following under commercial law:

1. Can we sell limited number of books that are published out of Australia?

2. Do I need to pay any tax when copies are delivered to me in Sydney?

3. What are the other relevant taxes that I need to pay or charge to customers?

The above list of questions is not exhaustive but gives you the idea of my concern. I would appreciate if I am answered looking at the bigger picture which covers all the relevant taxes and links to have better understanding of the tax clauses

Thanks

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi there,

1. I don't believe there is any restriction on selling books that are published outside of Australia, as long as your father's publisher agrees.

2. You may need to pay import tax. The tariff advice service provides advice free of charge on goods you intend to import. Individuals who are importing goods on a one-off basis can get help from the Department.

Importers are encouraged to use the services of a licensed customs broker if they are unsure of how to classify their goods. Customs brokers charge for the services they provide.Contact us

3. As well as import tax, you would need to pay income tax (and GST if applicable) on any profits you make.